Friday, February 15, 2013

Stags Head Raw/Maverick and Hot Press ...

Our return to the Stags Head on Sunday last could be described as slightly less than triumphant, in commercial terms, I suppose, but then it all depends on one's perspective. I have never been one for looking backwards, and none of us can change our History, but History is what it is, and I'm a firm believer in respecting it, and then leaving it where it should be left, firmly in the past. However, I would have to say that it felt pretty good to be standing in a room on the second floor of the Stags Head which held so many happy memories for me, and looking out over the small, but attentive audience, I could visualize the faces of people who attended, and some who participated in, many of the Sackville String Band gigs in that room. I could see the late Imor Byrne, with his long hair and sparkling eyes, hand-rolled Cigarette dangling from his lips, his Fiddle under his chin, saying things like 'Gram Parsons is the maestro', and launching into a chilling twin-Fiddle version of 'The Wind and Rain', or his own wonderful 'Three Guilder Wine' with John Caulfield. John, with his distinctive handsome visage, his Fiddle secured under his chin with his Red and White spotted Bandana, and his cigarette tucked into the headstock of his beloved German instrument. I see another raft of faces, Bill Whelan, first a member of the audience, later becoming a member of the Band, and one of the best damn Upright Bass players in the Universe, before becoming one of the best damn drop-thumb Banjo players in the Stratosphere. I see Eamon Quiqley, doorman and supporter/organizer supreme, later to become my Brother-in-Law. I see my Sister, Maeve, with her Autoharp cradled to her bosom, head to one side, singing a beautiful rendition of Jimmie Rodger's Travellin' Blues over the gentle, fragrant tones of her delicate instrument.I see many others, like a youthful Tim O'Brien, with his Fiddle at the ready, sitting half-way down the audience, waiting to be called 'on-stage'. I see George Kaye, Dermot O'Connor, Gerry Madigan, Jimmy Kelly, Jack Franks from Colorado and rakes more ........ The incessant rain never stopped,and the din from the drunken Rugby crowds outside hardly subsided all night, but up on the second floor, our small audience loved our set, I met several old pals from Templeogue, and a couple of Film Producers approached me about my Music for a Movie. Barry Hartigan, the organizer, also sold a rake of CDs, so all-in-all, I'd have to put my return to the Stags Head [ Raw] down as a success ............ Oh yeah, also this week, Hot Press and Maverick Published some wonderful reviews of Onwards and Upwards. Thanks guys ............. Niall, February 15 2013