Saturday, May 12, 2012

Riley Puckett and the Skillet Lickers ...

One of my favourite Old Time String Bands from the 1930s and 40s was a bunch of Guys from NC and TN that worked and recorded under the collective title of Riley Puckett and The Skillett Lickers. Apart from their music, which I loved, I was facinated by their name, and similar names from that period, like Charlie Poole and the North Carolina Ramblers,Weems String Band, and so on. In fact it was this style of name that inspired the names of so many of my own Bands over the years, like The Sackville String Band and Hank Halfhead and the Rambling Turkeys. [ There's a more complex story behind the latter, which I will explain in a future blog!] It was interesting to come across a vintage Grocery Store in rural Tennessee recently, which bore the name Puckett, and I found it inspirational just to sit and ponder. Once again, Fiaz was on hand with his Camera.